Mommy: Do you know what day it is?
Mommy: It’s Pancake Day.
Chorus: Pancake Day! Wow! Can we have pancakes?
Mommy: We’re going to have an apple cinnamon pancake.
Chorus: Yay! Yummy!
Top Gun: Mommy, we need more than one pancake!
Mommy: We are only making one pancake.
(Chorus silent. Probably planning how to get the most bites for themselves because obviously one pancake will not be enough to share.
Later, while watching Mommy pour the batter over the cooked apples.)
Chorus: Mommy, that’s not how you make a pancake!
Mommy: Just watch.
(Chorus watches through oven glass, enjoying how the pancake puffs up high and smells so good. As the pancake comes out of the oven…)
Chorus: (shouting over each other) Can I have a bite? Just one bite? I want an apple.
(The Chorus enjoys the pancake and asks for more until Mommy says to save some for Daddy. The Chorus protests loudly, but Mommy prevails and manages to save a bit for Michael.)
Chorus: Can we have another one?
Mommy: Maybe this weekend. (smiles)
More Pancake Recipes From This Blog
GERMAN APPLE PANCAKE
Makes one 10-inch pancake.
small mixing bowl
medium mixing bowl
10-inch oven proof pan or seasoned cast-iron skillet
1/2 cup (60 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup (120 ml) half and half or whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced (Tart apples such as Granny Smith or Empire work well.)
1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 lemon wedge
confectioners sugar, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 475° F/250° C.
2. BATTER: In the medium bowl, whisk together the flour and the salt. In the small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Gradually whisk into the flour mixture, just until blended. Do not overbeat.
3. APPLES: In the skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the apple slices and brown sugar, and saute until the apple is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Pour the batter over the apples and put the pan in the preheated oven. Bake until puffy and brown on the edges, about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven. Place and serving platter over the skillet, and quickly invert pancake onto the platter. You may also serve the pancake directly from the skillet.
6. TOPPING: Squeeze the lemon juice on top. Dust with confectioners sugar. Slice and serve immediately.