As the snow fell and piled up during the now infamous blizzard of December ‘09, I stayed in the kitchen baking cookies and getting ready for Christmas with a mug of hot cider in hand. We like it spiked with spiced rum or cinnamon schnapps with a stick of cinnamon in the mug, but this hot cider cocktail is a variation on the classic sidecar cocktail and has apple brandy and triple sec. The orange flavor from the triple sec works well with the cider and we agreed the cinnamon sugar rimmer is perfect, though we used an orange wedge rather than lime to rim the mug. For a nonalcoholic variation, just add an ounce of orange juice to the hot cider.
- 1 orange wedge
- cinnamon sugar mixture (on a saucer)
- 5 ounces hot apple cider
- 1-1/2 ounces apple brandy (Calvados or other)
- 1/2 ounce triple sec (Cointreau or other)
- Moisten the top edge of the mug with the orange wedge, then dip the moistened edge into the cinnamon sugar.
- Add the hot apple cider, apple brandy, and triple sec and stir well. Serve.
For a nonalcoholic version, omit the alcohol and stir in 1 ounce of fresh orange juice.
More Festive Cocktails
More Cider Drinks From Around the Blogs
[An original post from Andrea Meyers: making life delicious. All images and text copyrighted, All Rights Reserved.]
[Disclosure: This blog earns a few cents on items purchased through the Amazon.com links in posts.]