Michael and I have long had a fondness for gnocchi. I love the little dumplings and how good they taste with our homemade pesto and other Italian sauces. This recipe that I adapted from Cooking Light adds some broccoli and warm nutty flavor with browned butter. My boys are all broccoli addicts—not a bad thing—so broccoli is usually a safe choice for a vegetable side dish at our house, especially when there’s pasta or rice to go with it. They’ll eat it in salad or stir-fry, and love it plain with a bit of Parmesan sprinkled on top.
I changed the recipe up a bit and used toasted slivered almonds instead of pine nuts to make this fit into a budget meal, and added some fresh sage to the browned butter for extra flavor. It’s nice, a little different, and I love the whole wheat gnocchi, though you can use regular gnocchi if you prefer.
Adapted from Cooking Light.
1. Cook gnocchi in a large Dutch oven according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Add the broccoli and cook 1 minute, then drain.
2. While the gnocchi and broccoli cook, heat the large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and oil, and cook until the butter browns, about 7 minutes. Watch carefully and don't let it burn. Add the chopped sage and stir for 1 more minute. Add the gnocchi and broccoli and pepper to the pan, then toss to coat. Serve with the toasted almonds and Romano cheese.
Equipment & Recipe Notes
6-quart heavy bottom pot with lid
large (10 to 12-inch) skillet
Cut the broccoli florets small so they will cook quickly. You can also use other vegetables, such as baby kale, spinach, or green beans instead of the broccoli. Baby kale or spinach will not need to be precooked, and can go right into the skillet with the gnocchi.
Homemade gnocchi is a nice touch if you have time on a weekend to make it.
More Tasty Side Dishes
More Broccoli Recipes From Other Blogs
- Cooking on the Side – Roasted Broccoli with Lemon
- Gluten-Free Goddess – Quinoa Salad with Pineapple, Broccoli, and Mint
- Curry and Comfort – Broccoli and Cauliflower Mash
- GI 365 – Thai Style Broccoli Salad with Sweet Chili Lime Dressing
[Disclosure: I am a member of the Cooking Light Bloggers' Connection.]
[An original post from Andrea Meyers: making life delicious. All images and text copyrighted, All Rights Reserved.]
[Disclosure: This blog earns a few cents on items purchased through the Amazon.com links in posts.]